Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Happiness: That elusive nymph

I oft wonder, What does true happiness mean to me?
It's a funny question, isn't it? Simple, but profound.
What would make one truly happy?

That's easy. I know the answer to that one.

A loving family, a dream career, a world tour, a doting partner.. a multitude of answers popped in my mind. Were these really the answers?

Would that unbounded joy linger forever after I got what I wished for?
Is happiness a stage of life indeed?

I thought hard and long. All my yearnings that once seemed like the source of sustained bliss, just did not seem adequate anymore.

Till I realized what I was looking for. It was not a destination or a check list.
It was about not limiting myself by having either.

What I truly want is a continuous joyous ride of learning through new experiences. The barrier is stagnation.

The moment I envelop myself with nothing but routine, it would slowly kill my passion for life. It's not life-changing experiences that I desire. All I want is the elation while I indulge myself in a new book, examine an unexplored school of thought, discover new forms of creativity..the vista of possible adventures is infinite.

After all, an excited person is a happy person.

No comments:

Followers