Thursday, June 12, 2008

Love's Labour Lost




It's been quite a while since I last added to my humble collection of blog posts. I was unable to find anything that inspired or rather compelled me to portray my thoughts on paper. However, the truth is that unless you're willing to open your eyes and look around, you'll never spot it. Which would explain my abstinence from writing as a result of self-perpetrated blindness to everything else. For the past month and a half, I've been daily visiting the lush campus of IISc, Bangalore.
Routine-driven, I walk by the same lane each day barely noticing the irony smeared on the splendor that surrounds me. Dim lights glimmer beneath the dark canopy of trees assuring me of a humane touch to the forlorn paths. I couldn't help feeling faintly jealous of the residents , for whom an early morning stroll, laden with ambrosial freshness and a soothing calm , was a daily affair. Or for whom, a leisurely walk beneath the starry skies, armed to melt any cold heart, was just a step away.
I glanced again at the Eden around me to realize that the truth was startlingly different. Not once had I seen a student or a professor gazing at it with an equivalent reverence or awe. More often than not, I'd see them scurrying down the lane, speeding away on their bicycles with an occasional turn of the head, only to avoid traffic. Some mulling plans in their mind, determined to figure out the missing piece in their research and some involved in a heated discussion with colleagues. The silent connoisseur was ,sadly, absent.
Perhaps, this was a reiteration of the greener grass across the fence. Although the charm never faded, the ardor did. Well, they say, a thing of beauty is a joy forever or Is it?

1 comment:

Kripal Pais said...

I have been to IISc and I can relate to what you have to say. But the human mind would be unable to function if it took in everything around itself. There are things that have to be ignored. If you are talking about the flowers and trees, you are ignoring the tarred road running alongside. If you are looking at the picturesque beauty, you are ignoring the noise of vehicles just behind the walls of the campus.

So also in life, it is all about what you choose to focus on. Those decisions will make you what you are.

Followers